Saving on health care
Better care doesn't have to be expensive. We offer several resources to help Aetna members find the right care for yourself and your family.
The latest COVID-19 health care information is on the COVID-19 page.Go there now
Save when you use in-network providers
By using health care providers in your plan’s network, you can take advantage of the significant discounts Aetna has negotiated with them. This can help lower your out-of-pocket costs for medically necessary care. In addition, network providers do more than just save you money—they save you time. They file claims and get any necessary advance approvals, so you don’t have to.
The next time you need care, log in to your Aetna account (SSO) and find a provider in the Aetna Choice POS II network (or Utah Connected Network if you’re a Utah-based employee) to get the most value from your medical plan.
Save by using Aetna doctors
As an Aetna member, you have freedom to see any provider you wish. When you go to an in-network doctor, however, you save in three ways:
- Network doctors charge lower, negotiated rates for Aetna members—like you and your family. If you go outside the network for care, your plan may not pay the full amount of the charges submitted by the doctor, and you may be responsible for paying the remaining balance [PDF]—and that additional amount you pay does not count toward your out-of-pocket maximum.
- Your deductible is lower. You will pay less out of your pocket for covered nonpreventive health care services before the plan starts to pay.
- You benefit from your plan’s higher level of coverage. In most cases, the plan picks up 90% of the cost for in-network care versus 70% of recognized charges for out-of-network care (or 80% versus 60% depending on your plan). You also have a much lower annual out-of-pocket maximum when you stay in-network.
Save by using Aexcel specialists
Aexcel specialists are doctors who meet standards for clinical quality and efficiency. For example, these high-performing doctors:
- Show lower complication rates for their patients during hospital stays
- Use treatments shown to help improve outcomes
- Get recognition in health care quality and safety
You can choose doctors in 12 specialties:
- Cardiology (heart and blood)
- Cardiothoracic (heart and chest) surgery
- Gastroenterology (digestive system)
- General surgery
- Neurology (nervous system)
- Neurosurgery (spinal column, spinal cord, brain and nerves)
- Obstetrics and gynecology (pregnancy and women’s reproductive system)
- Orthopedics (bones and joints)
- Otolaryngology (ENT — ear, nose, throat; head and neck)
- Plastic surgery (cosmetic)
- Urology (urinary tract and urogenital system)
- Vascular (vein and artery) surgery
Save by using in-network labs
Save time, money and hassle with virtual visits through Teladoc. If you’re an Aetna member, you can chat with a licensed doctor or therapist from anywhere, and have a prescription sent to your local pharmacy when needed. Appointments can be done by web, phone or via the Teladoc mobile app. No long wait times. No waiting rooms full of sick people.
Before you run out to the ER, urgent care or your dermatologist’s or therapist’s office, consider if a Teladoc visit [PDF] makes more sense. Teladoc may be a better choice if you:
- Have a minor health issue, such as the flu, allergies, a sinus infection, rash, sore throat, etc.
- Need treatment of ongoing or complex skin issues, such as psoriasis, eczema, acne, etc.
- Need support for anxiety, eating disorders, depression or family issues
You’ll pay significantly less [PDF] toward your deductible or coinsurance when you use Teladoc instead of seeing a clinician in person:
- General medical visits cost $40
- Dermatology visits cost $75
- Behavioral health visits vary from $80 to $160 a session, depending on the type of provider (there is no cost through September 2020)
Compare that to an in-person doctor visit, which can cost you nearly $130, or an emergency room visit, which can set you back a whopping $1,456, according to the aggregate Adobe Teladoc utilization report, January 2016.
You can also request an expert opinion from Best Doctors through the Teladoc portal.
Get started by calling 855-TEL-ADOC (855-835-2362) or visiting Teladoc.com/Aetna.
Sometimes things just happen—your child develops flu symptoms after your primary care office has closed or you step on a tack over the weekend. When events like this occur, consider the convenience and savings of MinuteClinic. MinuteClinic is a walk-in medical clinic, inside select CVS and Target stores, staffed by nurse practitioners or physician assistants who specialize in family health care. The clinic is open seven days a week.
As an Adobe Aetna member, your plan covers eligible MinuteClinic services as follows:
- Preventive care services are covered with no cost share.
- Non-preventive care services are covered at a preferred rate while you’re in your deductible phase. Once you meet your plan’s annual deductible, non-preventive services are covered with no cost share. Just show your Aetna medical ID card when you check in.
- Care for minor illnesses like colds, pink eye, earaches and ear infections, urinary tract infections and strep throat
- Care for minor injuries like strains and sprains, bug bites, and minor burns or cuts
- Evaluation and treatment of skin conditions like poison ivy rash, acne and sunburn
- Common vaccinations for flu, pneumonia, pertussis, hepatitis and more
- Wellness services
- Travel health services
Go to cvs.com/minuteclinic to learn more about the available services and find a clinic near you. Then just walk in, or schedule a future visit online.
One Medical has reinvented the doctor’s office—making it convenient, comfortable and stress-free with nearly 40 offices nationwide and 24/7 virtual care. Their team of experienced health care providers offers full-spectrum primary care—from allergies and dermatological issues to physical exams and stress management. Here are a few of the advantages of One Medical:
- Make same- or next-day appointments
- In-network with Aetna
- Convenient and easy access to preventive and basic care
- Email your doctor between visits
- Get care 24/7 by phone or via the One Medical mobile app—at no cost
Employees, spouses and domestic partners who live in San Francisco, San Jose, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Phoenix, New York and Washington, D.C., are eligible for this membership benefit. View Adobe-specific registration details [PDF].