On Friday, May 5th, the World Health Organization (WHO) has declared that COVID-19 is no longer a global health emergency. As such, COVID-19 is no longer a valid reason to use DETO. If you are unwell with COVID-19, please use your sick or other appropriate time off and update Workday accordingly.
Adobe strives to ensure you can take time away from work to be fully present during a disaster or epidemic. All regular employees, interns, and Adobe-paid temps are eligible to take up to 20 working days per calendar year during these personal and challenging moments.
What DETO can be used for
DETO applies to the specific conditions that are considered a significant disaster or epidemic, as shown in the charts below. You must meet both Criteria A and Criteria B to use this time off. Review the policy [PDF] for detailed information.
Adobe’s Global Safety & Security team, through the 24/7 Global Security Operations Center (GSOC), have issued an official notification (Adobe Emergency Alert) to your corporate email, indicating that there has been a significant event at your primary home location, OR
Your local, state, or federal government has declared a state of emergency in your primary home location due to a significant event, OR
Adobe’s CEO or CHRO has declared an event of significant concern to the business.
Your primary home location has become uninhabitable or unsafe, OR
There is a lack of power, water, or connectivity at your primary home location, OR
You are caring for an immediate family member (who normally lives in your household or in the same affected area) due to a lack of childcare or elder care support, because the significant event has resulted in school or care facility closures.
* Significant events typically relate to natural disasters such as earthquakes, hurricanes, wildfires, floods, etc. However, this list is not exhaustive.
Epidemics and pandemics
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared a health care emergency due to an epidemic and/or pandemic in your primary home location AND
Your country’s government or public health authority declares an epidemic and/or pandemic state of emergency and restrictions apply.
You are experiencing physical symptoms due to a known case of the illness related to the epidemic or pandemic,** OR
You are caring for an immediate family member (who normally lives in your household or in the same affected area) due to illness in relation to the epidemic or pandemic, OR
You are caring for an immediate family member (who normally lives in your household or in the same affected area) due to a lack of childcare or elder care support because of epidemic- or pandemic-related school or care facility closures, OR
You are receiving a vaccination or experiencing immediate side effects of the epidemic- or pandemic-related vaccination or other medical treatments, OR
Any other epidemic- or pandemic-related reasons as defined by local law or ordinance that may be in effect during this period (such as physician-recommended quarantine or other jurisdiction-specific scenarios).
** If you later discover that your illness was not in relation to the epidemic or pandemic, please use your sick leave as needed.
Important notes about taking DETO
- This time off runs concurrently with and is inclusive of any applicable statutory emergency leave entitlements. This time off is NOT for personal situations, personal emergencies, or interrupted vacation time due to pandemics or disasters.
- You are eligible to take time off beginning on your first day with Adobe.
- Time off can be taken as one block or in full-day increments, unless otherwise prescribed by applicable law. Disaster and Epidemic Time Off can be coupled with other time-off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and sabbatical, and is exclusive of public holidays (including Adobe shutdown periods) and is in addition to any existing Adobe-paid time-off or leave-of-absence benefits.
- The time off is not an accrued benefit and will not be cashed out if it is not used.
Speak with your manager if you need to take time off, and be sure to submit via Workday: Submit your Time Off via Workday > Time off & Leave > Request Time Off.