Saving for the future takes focus and planning. When it comes to achieving financial security, set-it-and-forget-it is not an option. Whatever your ultimate retirement goals are—traveling, a new business, doting on your loved ones—take advantage of your benefits to help you get there.
You can contribute up to 18% of your income, as long as it falls within the Canada Revenue Agency’s (CRA) limit. To review your limit, refer to your most current Notice of Assessment.
Adobe matches up to 4% of your earnings, depending on how much you contribute. Here’s how it works:
|Your contribution||Adobe's contribution|
Once you are enrolled, your regular deferral percentage applies to your base salary and any commissions and rolls over from year to year. However, if you wish to defer a portion of your Annual Incentive Plan (AIP) bonus, you must visit the Manulife website or call Manulife at 888-727-7766 and elect your AIP deferral percentage each year at least 15 days before the AIP payment date.
Besides the matching contributions from Adobe, your RRSP through Manulife provides benefits and services that may not be available to you through an individual savings or investment account. These benefits include:
- Convenience: Make regular contributions directly from your paycheck
- Immediate tax reduction: Your contributions are taken from your gross pay before payroll taxes are calculated, reducing the amount of your income that’s taxed
- Tax-deferred growth: Your money grows tax-free while in the plan and is only taxed when you withdraw it
- Lower investment management fees: Take advantage of the competitive investment management fees
- Leading fund managers: Access some of the world’s leading fund managers and their funds, many of which aren’t available to individual investors
- Secure website and telephone account access: Manage your account and investments in the way that’s most convenient for you
- Easy-to-read statements: Manulife’s statements provide updates on your savings and include tips and reminders to help you build an effective retirement savings plan
- Consolidate your savings: Transfer accounts you hold at other institutions to get a consolidated view of your retirement savings
You have a wide range of funds to choose from to support the investment strategy that’s right for you. The Manulife Enrollment Guide [PDF] has detailed information about all investment options.
Regular employees and interns who work at least 20 hours per week are eligible to participate in the plan as soon as they are hired. Participation is completely voluntary; however, if you do not wish to join the plan, you must contact Manulife within 60 days of your hire date. Otherwise, you’ll be enrolled in the plan’s default option ”Manulife Retirement Fund,” with a 6% paycheck deferral. You can also establish an RRSP for your spouse.